Wednesday 23 February 2022

Upgraded to upper

Fortunately when I travel to South Africa the majority of times it’s out of season and to be honest even in season the plane is always half empty. 


3rd February I got up did some last minute laundry finished packing and got ready for the 2 hour journey to the airport with dad. Normally my mummy comes with us but due to illness over Christmas it was not possible this trip so I said my hard goodbye to her, hopped in the car and we were off. The past few nights up until this point i had been struggling to sleep going to bed around midnight/ 1am and being wide eyed before 5am so as you can imagine I was shattered and had a quick nap in the car.

 

The journey to the airport felt like a 20 minute car journey down the road. It was time to unload the car and go into the terminal. Travelling for 3 years is hard… multiple things to pack, different climates to cater for and of course the kiddies toys, clothes, books and this time a pushchair. 


In my head I had prepared for a costly trip, over weight and extra baggage can be EXPENSIVE!!!! 

But my Dad had a plan that he had kept secret for a few weeks, he wanted to try upgrade me but because I had booked and paid for my enconomy ticket by myself online it wouldn’t let him change anything. So being the incredible person he is he went over to the ticket counter explained what I was doing and got me upgraded to first class with airmiles as there where still 8 available seats. 


Over to the upper class bag drop we went. I was in shock. The virgin Atlantic staff were lovely and accommodating and because in upper your allowed 2 checked luggages it worked out perfectly…. Plus they put the pushchair through for free :) 


I was then taken upstairs to a door where I had to scan my boarding pass for upper class security… this is where I had to say goodbye to my Daddy. I wish my family could have come with me and had a great experience but due to health reasons that just wasn’t possible!! I love them all so much and miss them all already. 


After security I walked through duty free down to the club house lounges. I arrived with plenty of time to the airport because I was imagining having problems with my luggage πŸ§³ so with only one other passenger in the lounge I could pick any seat in the clubhouse and relax and dine whilst waiting for my flight in 5 hours time … 


So having said that I enjoyed it …. Once in a life time experience…. Make the most of it ….. 


4 lemonades 

2 ice cold diet cokes 

1 hot chocolate 

A small plate of chips 

Molten chocolate cake

And a tub of hagaiindaz ice cream 


It was incredible from swinging chairs hanging from the ceiling to sofas that could seat the entire booker family. Being able to watch the airplanes take off and land or TV on what looked like cinema sized screens…. 


Restaurants, table service, or a help yourself station I was definelty not expecting such luxury before a flight. Normally I am sat charging my phone on a uncomfortable airport seat πŸ’Ί after buying some over expensive drinks and treats for the flight from WHSmith or boots…. 


At this point it all felt like a dream and an awesome one at that. 


I relaxed, chilled and let the 5 hours slip away before making my way to the gate to board my flight to joburg. 


I’ve only been on the priority list once before and that was to get on a 1 hour flight from joburg to Durban so bypassing the queue this time felt strange normally I’m the last one on the flight but this time I was one of the first …


I entered the plane and for the first time in my life I went left instead of right …. 


Seat 3G! 3 from rows back from the pilots cabin in the middle I was shocked surrounded by people who fly regularly in this incredible area of the plane …. Within minutes of being seated I was offered the choice of champagne, orange juice or water …. I took the water always best to stay hydrated on flightsπŸ˜‰ 


Placed on my seat was an eminity kit filled with luxury items to make the flight more comfortable then the air hostess asked what size cotton pajamas I would like to keep πŸ™ˆ I was in shock. I couldn’t wait for the pilot to start the plane so I could go and get changed! 

I was like a kid in a candy store πŸ€£


The way upper class is set out in the plane I was in there are lots of seats facing diagonally that lay flat in a bed position if you want to sleep so it is quite sociable whilst you are awake and you get to meet lots of wealthy people who all ask where your final destination is and what your doing…. They all took care of me from the point that I said normally I’m back in economy but this time my dad upgraded me as I’m away for 3 years volunteering at a childrens home. The one lovely guy opposite me was around the same age as my dad and after he realised his son was the same age as me… he took me under his wing and showed me how to live the upper class life … he even made my bed for me 

🀣 the air hostesses said he should apply for a job because he was so well travelled and knew everything about this area of the plane… his friend even gave me his pajamas as he decided not to use them so that I could have a spare pair! 





















Fine dinning on an airplane is a different experience all together 


Duck for starter served with warm bread rolls 

Braised pork cheek for mains

Rich dark chocolate mouse for desert


And a lot of cold drinks and water to stay hydrated throughout 


Breakfast was croissants and fruit Which was lovely but I was just sooo excited to get off the plane and begin my journey in South Africa! 


The plane landed and we were off. You know that big rush of people all trying to get to immigration first to bypass the queues …. 

Yeah that was me!


But I made it about 2 minutes of waiting and I was through!! Collected my 2 bags and pushchair and headed through to the arrivals doors in OR Tambo airport x 


I was so happy to be back! once we got to the car me and the manager chatted away until we reached the new TLC Property. 

It is such a gorgeous place! They really have made miracles happen here… when I first saw it it was a construction site with a lot of rubble and now it’s a home… the children are happy it’s peaceful and perfect in every way possible!


I

1 comment:

  1. Yay you arrived safely, so lovely to hear you had such a great flight over and a lovey welcome from your manager. Stace xx

    ReplyDelete