Wednesday 23 February 2022

Home Sweet Home

 My first day at TLC was full of all kinds of emotions, happy, sad, calmness and it sure was full of suprises. South Africa welcomed me back beautifully as it always does NO WATER or electricity! Otherwise known as loadshedding. As you can imagine after 11 long hours on a airplane all you want is a shower and to feel clean again. I arrived at TLC around 10 am and was finally able to have a shower at 3:30pm I was over the moon. Already getting used to the South African Realities. 

For the rest of the day I was able to meet the new babies and reconnect with the small children and adults that I was able to spend so much of my time with at TLC on my previous trips. I felt like I was already settled. I unpacked and greated the international volunteers relaxing in our stunning cottage.

The following day was saturday the 5th February, all the managers had meetings, one was on duty and the others were busy so they asked me to take 2 of our oldest children to a birthday party for a school friend. It was a lovely day getting to know the 2 older kiddios again. I had been at TLC on and off since they were both in the grubs section and they have both grown leaps and bounds since our first time meeting each other. They were happy to tell me all about there school friends and about what they liked and disliked.


They seemed to get used to me very quickly and loved there day out at there friends party. I had known about the party since a few days before I left England so me and my Auntie headed out to the shops and guessed their clothes and shoe sizes and brought them gorgous little outfits. I have honestly never seen a child smile so much with there shoes and clothes. Just knowing that at this property they know what is theres is incredible they have their own space for there own clothes and toys. So they were quick to show me where they were going to put them. They party became a 7 hour celebration. This was great bonding time and also incredible to be able to meet their school friends and the people they speak so highly off. The parents of the children where also so lovely which was great and it made making friendships with them a lot easier.  

The following day I went to church around an hour away with my friend and we spent the whole day in Centurion where the Church is. It was incredible to be back everything felt so peaceful and so right. I felt safe and happy. Nothing could ever make me question my decision on coming back. This is where I am meant to be!

Monday the start of a new week. The day that I began volunteering in the nursery. I spent the majority of my day making baby food with the nursery supervisor. It was a wonderful time to get to know her as she wasn't here on my previous trips. We made beatroot puree, carrot puree, butternut sqaush puree and two types of meat to go with the veggies. It felt like I was back in the swing of things. 



Later on in the afternoon I had a welcome meeting with the management team. This is where they gave me the chance to make a buddy with one of the children. This child is precious and beautiful in so many ways so ofcourse I said yes! I had worked with him as part of a group in my previous trips but this time I am able to spend one on one time with him and honestly it is already making such a difference in his life thanks to everyone who helps to take care of him. 



This time at TLC my job role is different so I join in with many different activities like doctors appointments, court dates, one on one time and community outreach programmes. 

I honestly cant explain how much life has changed for the better for the babies, kiddies and everyone else on this new property. Life is calm peaceful and everyone has settled in nicely to there new home!

Thank you so much for all the support and prayers during my first 2 weeks here at TLC Children's Home





2 comments:

  1. So glad your settling back into life there, the new plot looks lovely and much nicer than the previous, I hope it makes all the difference for the children and you. Xx

    ReplyDelete